Love playing with lip color and creating different looks? It’s all down to how you prep your lips. Our Global Artistry Lead Janeena Rumsey shares all her tips and tricks on how to apply lipstick and lip color effortlessly, and creates six lip color looks you need to try now.
As most makeup artists will tell you, you should never put lipstick or lip color on without properly prepping your pout beforehand. “The reason for this is that we often have dry or flaky skin or our lips, sometimes they’re even chapped, so ensuring they’re smooth and conditioned will be a game-changer for how the color sits and stays on your lips,” explains Janeena.
“Exfoliate your lips with a face scrub. Mix a small amount of Daily Polishing Cleanser and Pumpkin Enzyme Scrub together with a bit of water in palm of hand. Apply this cocktail to lips in small circular motions, then remove with water. Add some Barrier Balm on lips and you’re good to go,” shares Janeena.
To exfoliate lips with a homemade lip scrub, “Try a simple sugar and honey solution mixed with a little olive or coconut oil. You can gently use an old toothbrush too to really get those flakes off,” advises Janeena, “But make sure you don’t scrub too hard. Keep the pressure gentle.”
Once you’ve exfoliated, you can do a little color correction. If you have dark lips, try a light foundation powder to set a base tone for your color. If you have light or medium lips, use your regular foundation to set the base.
Wondering when to apply lip liner? “While some people prefer to do this after they’ve added the main color fill, to set the shape of the lips you’re filling, apply lip liner first,” shares Janeena. “And, you can even fill the lips with the liner if you’re looking to boost the wear-time of that color too.”
You can always come back to the lining process after you’ve filled the lip color in, to correct and perfect your lip look too.
“Apply your lipstick or lip crayon from the middle of your lips outwards, as this gives you the best color control. Some people like to apply the lip color directly to lips, while other may prefer to work with a lip brush or even fingers to blot. It’s all down to your preference and really the effect you’re looking to achieve.”
Don’t forget to blot your lips to remove any excess. “Use a translucent setting powder or spray to set the lip color in place,” adds Janeena.
“This look is just so easy and effortless and is suitable for all occasions.”
2. Fill in center of lips with Suede Matte Lip Crayon in the shade Angel, then blend with the same brush.
3️. Line lips with Precision Lip Pencil in the shade Natural.
4️. Top with a generous coat of Lip Gloss in On The Rocks.
“This is a more color-intense look and really brings just the right amount of pop to your look.”
1. Hydrate lips with Barrier Balm.
3. Lightly pat Lipstick in Fixation onto center lip area.
4. Blot and blend outer edges with fingers or the Eye Base Brush.
“Everyone needs a bright red lip look in their repertoire and this is so effortlessly easy and timeless, you’ll love it.”
1. Line lips with Suede Matte Lip Crayon in Crimson then press lips together to blend color.
2. Fully coat lips with Lipstick in Bullseye.
3. Then go back in with Crimson to perfect and smooth out lip line for fully saturated color.
“This is a look that never goes out of style and is both lived-in and glamorous at the same time.”
1. Lightly sketch Suede Matte Lip Crayon in Port onto lips.
2. Press lips together to blend and soften.
3. Line outer lip edge with Precision Lip Pencil in Vino.
4. Blend and blur lip line with Detail Shader Brush for that lived-in effect.
“Much like a classic red lip, a plum lip is always on-point, especially to dress up a Winter or Fall makeup look.”
1. Generously coat lips with Lipstick in Runway.
2. Use Crease Shader Brush to soften and blend lip-edge.
3. Line lips with Precision Lip Pencil in Rave to perfect lip line.
Whatever your color preference, have fun building and customizing your own lip looks. Just put that prep work in and you’ll notice a huge difference in the application and staying power too.
Looking for lip color inspiration? Our zodiac lip chart offers lip color ideas for every sign of the zodiac.