What is Exfoliation?
As our skin cells regenerate in their normal life cycle, old/dead cells naturally slough away, giving way to new cells. This natural process slows down as we age, causing dead cells to build up on skin’s surface, resulting in dry and dull looking skin.
Often a forgotten step in an ordinary beauty routine, exfoliation is key to revealing your best skin! With products available for your face, lips and body there’s no reason why you can’t have your softest, smoothest skin from head to toe!
Why is Exfoliation Important?
- Speeds up cell turnover: Our skin naturally regenerates itself but this process slows down significantly the older we become. Incorporating an exfoliating product into your weekly routine helps accelerate this natural process, revealing a more radiant complexion.
- Breaks up discoloration: For anyone suffering from hyperpigmentation, you should know that being in the sun will only make the issue worse, so using a daily SPF is key to preventing the production of additional melanin. But how can you manage existing areas of discoloration? In addition to shedding dead cells, exfoliation also helps break up hyperpigmented cells. This is a critical step in your weekly routine to revealing brighter skin.
- Removes debris from follicles: If you consider yourself ‘breakout-prone’ have no fear, exfoliation is for you too! Many times, those dead skin cells block follicles leading to blackheads and inflamed breakouts. Exfoliation helps remove any debris from the follicles, leading the way to clearer skin.
- Helps skincare products absorb more easily: You use treatment serums because you want to see results- if there are dead cells on the surface of your skin, serums won’t be able to penetrate as deep. Once you remove those excess skin cells, serums can penetrate the skin more efficiently, giving you results faster.
- Helps makeup lay more smoothly: By freeing your complexion of any uneven texture, foundation applies seamlessly- which is just what you want for a beautifully, natural look.
How Often Should You Exfoliate?
For manual exfoliation, we recommend incorporating this step into your nightly routine 1-3x per week for best results. Over exfoliation can cause more harm than good- make sure you listen to your skin’s needs to prevent any damage.
All of our manual exfoliants contain environmentally-friendly ingredients, so you can rest assured you are not contributing to the oceans’ micro-bead issue. Instead, we use ingredients such as Jojoba Beads and Synthetic Wax Beads to gently slough away dead skin cells.